JNCW was founded in 1992 as a national machinery to promote women’s status in Jordan. Chaired by HRH Princess Basma bint Talal, the Commission’s board includes representatives from relevant ministries, civil society organizations and the private sector in the Kingdom. Since its establishment, JNCW seeks to ensure that Jordan complies with its national, Arab and international commitments, which aim at improving women’s situation and their participation in sustainable development.
On September 21, 1996, the Jordanian cabinet designated JNCW as a national reference for all official entities and a representative of the Kingdom in all women-related issues and activities. The Commission’s tasks and responsibilities were identified along the following key themes:
- Mainstreaming women’s issues and priorities in national strategies, policies, legislations, plans and budgets.
- Monitoring discrimination against women and assessing progress vis-à-vis equality and equal opportunities.
- Advocating for women’s issues and raising awareness on their role and participation in achieving a national sustainable development.
Since 1993, and as a part of its mandate, JNCW is leading the process of preparing and updating the National Strategy for Women in Jordan by adopting a participatory method.
JNCW seeks to attain an equal and active citizenship in a just society that guarantees equal opportunities in order to achieve a national sustainable development.
- Creating an environment that supports the political empowerment of women and their active participation in the public sphere.
- Creating an environment that values and supports women’s economic participation and ensures equal economic opportunities.
- Countering gender-based discrimination and violence, and achieving social justice and empowerment of women.
- Mainstreaming gender in national legislations, policies, plans, programs and budgets.
- Institutionalizing the processes of monitoring and evaluation, as well as ensuring compliance with Jordan’s national, regional and international commitments to gender equality.
- Ensuring JNCW’s sustainability, in addition to developing its institutional and administrative capacities.