Main content

The Constitution: Article 45 (1) of the new constitution stipulates that Zambia’s electoral system for the election of President, Member of Parliament or Councilor must ensure fair representation of the various interest groups in society and that there should be gender equity in the National Assembly or Council. Furthermore, Article 231 provides for the long sought after Gender Equity and Equality Commission. The enacted 2015 Gender Equity and Equality Act (GEEA) is a progressive piece of legislation, which seeks to domesticate some of the women’s rights and gender provisions in regional, continental and international instruments to which Zambia is party to. The National Gender Policy has a clear objective that states: To increase the participation of women in decision making at all levels of development in the public and private sectors. However, political parties still need to take up affirmative action measures to ensure that more women are incorporated at all levels of political party decision making levels and adopted in various disciplines.

Often, policies exist at the national level, but local community members, usually women, aren’t aware of them. The lack of awareness means these women do not know how to support the policies. While policies that exist nationally might aim to address gender inequality; without commitment by all stakeholder levels, there is no guarantee that policies created will be sustained or implemented.

In Zambia, women remain marginalized from meaningfully participating in the governance of the country. In 2016, there were 6, 698, 372 Zambians from a population of about 15 million who were registered to vote. United Nations estimates are that about 51 per cent of the population are women. Out of the total number of women, only 850, 771 registered to vote. Women who were initially adopted by political parties in the ward, constituency, district and provincial nomination processes were left out and replaced by men at national level. This has seen marginal increase in women’s representation in Parliament and Local Government at 17% and 9% respectively during the 2016 elections compared to 11% and 7% registered in the 2011 elections. Obviously this is still far below the SADC and African Union gender parity requirement of 50% at all levels of decision making.

In Zambia, almost all prominent media institutions are owned, dominated, directed, or managed by men. As a result the reporting patterns and media coverage were dependent on paying for the service or who owned the media institutions. In 2016, 81% of media space was reserved for men leaving only 19% space for women. Worse still, only 5% of coverage was on and about women candidates. In the past 25years media institutions’ responses to the elections have largely and broadly, remained unaltered.


  • Zambia Centre for Interparty Dialogue (ZCID)


    Zambia Centre for Interparty Dialogue (ZCID) June 7, 2019 ZCID is a not-for-profit local organization founded in 2002 from the initial inter-party consultative forum called the Zambia Interparty Bureau. It is registered as a Trust under the Land Perpetuation Act under the laws of the Republic Zambia. ZCID has since positioned itself to become Zambia’s […]

  • Zambia National Women’s Lobby (ZNWL)


    Zambia National Women’s Lobby (ZNWL) June 27, 2017 ZNWL is a membership based, non-partisan, non-governmental organisation advocating for increased women and girls’ participation and representation at all levels of decision-making. The ZNWL was established in 1991 due to the continued women’s under-representation in higher decision making positions of the country which made it very difficult […]

  • Non Governmental Organizations’ Coordinating Council (For Gender and Development)


    The Non-Governmental Organisations’ Coordinating Council (NGOCC) is an umbrella organisation coordinating and strengthening member Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and Community Based Organisations (CBOs) addressing gender and development through capacity building, networking, communication and advocacy.

  • Restless Development


    Restless Development June 27, 2017 Restless Development places young people at the core of the process leading to the development of their new strategy in 2016 and brought as many youth voices as possible to the most important issues facing young people in 2015 and beyond. As a values-led agency, they leveraged access to young […]

News and blogs